Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Thank You OILERS!

Thank you for 8 weeks of amazing hockey. That was incredible. From 8th place in the West to game 7 of the Stanley Cup final… that was quite a run, quite a story!

As much as I am amazed at the Oilers, and proud of what they have accomplished, I can’t help but feel utter disappointment. It’s not the angry disappointment or “never cheer for them again” disappointment… I will ALWAYS be an Oilers fan! The kind of disappointment I am plagued with is the pit in the bottom of the stomach kind, the kind that isn’t appeased by Conference Championship banners, or pats on the back, or participation ribbons.

This is what drives any competitor… I can assure you that every member of the Edmonton Oilers franchise has this same feeling of disappointment. It will consume their summer and get worse in training camp and pre-season play… game one of the 2006-2007 season will provide a little relief, but it won’t be satisfied until the opportunity that slipped away last night presents itself again.

I want the Oilers to be disappointed, I want them to spend the summer agonizing in it, I want that fire in their stomachs to grow to an unbearable level of discomfort… they know, as do you and I, the only cure is redemption.

As a fan I guess I am disappointed that I didn’t sit in the right chair, or eat the right meal, or watch the game with the right people, or wear the right jersey… that’s all I’ve got to blame for my role in the loss, but as a fan, I’ve got to take some responsibility.

For the players, there are NO excuses, this thing isn’t suppose to be easy… overcoming what the Oilers have had to… 8th place, the flu, losing their #1 goaltender… they did good, just not good enough!

The Western Conference Championship banner that will be raised in the rafters of Rexall Place is an accomplishment, something all fans, the city and the province should be proud of. It’s something the Oilers need to be proud of! Just don’t forget what could have been raised! And don’t forget what you felt at this moment…

Once again… THANK YOU OILERS!

I am not going to throw the ol' standby "we'll get 'em next year" out there, it's not the 80's, these opportunities are few and far between. What I will say though, is bring Lord Stanley HOME! You know you can do it, now GET 'ER DONE!

1 Comments:

At 4:54 PM, July 06, 2006, Blogger Hasty said...

it still hurts.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home