Monday, January 23, 2006

Most Overused Quote of the Year

"If you don't go out and vote, you can't complain about the government."

I woke up at 7:30 am, after listening to my radio alarm, and then shortly afterward my shower radio, the amount of times I had heard that quote was 14. I have now heard it more times than I could possibly hope to remember, but it would at least have to be over 50.

I understand that this one-liner seems to be the way for people on radio and tv to motivate people to go out and vote, but seriously, are you telling me that there isn't a better motivator? How about the rarely used "people died fighting in wars so that we could have the ability to vote for our leaders." I guess that just doesn't strike a chord anymore.

What really annoys me is how the quote itself, is incorrect. For starters, can someone complain if they don't vote? Of course they can. And what's more, starting tomorrow morning, do you think any elected politician is going to ask someone if they voted before they are willing to hear a complaint? Not if they like their position as elected they won't. Finally, for those who rally under the mantra of "its our right to vote", they must understand that in the true meaning of a "right", there is also within the right, the right not to do that selfsame thing. Freedom of speech also entails the freedom to say nothing at all. So, in truth, people not voting are actually demonstrating their right to vote as well. Thats why in Australia where voting is the law, there is no right to vote.

I am not trying to encourage anyone not to vote, I hope voter turnout is 100%, but for pete's sake people, stop using the quote above!

5 Comments:

At 4:04 PM, January 23, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd be willing to guarantee that the majority of people who do complain are the ones who DON'T vote. Its sad.

 
At 5:26 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger David MacLean said...

I'll go one step further. I actually discourage people from voting. YOu know those people who say "I literally won't make up my mind until I get to the polling booth."

What is with that? I mean, seriously!

 
At 5:28 PM, January 23, 2006, Blogger David MacLean said...

I say: "Don't bother!"

 
At 2:25 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Scott Hennig said...

At $1.75 per vote, per year of our tax dollars - I considered picketing voting stations with a "Save yourself $7 and don't vote" sign.

 
At 3:39 PM, January 24, 2006, Blogger Unknown said...

Interesting point Scott, are you saying that the 35% of Canadians who didn't vote have done all taxpayers a good deed by saving us hundreds of millions of dollars? Interesting. talk about a reason not to vote...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home