Thursday, October 13, 2005

To Donate or Not To Donate

That seems to be the question. The Edmonon Sun ran an interesting article this morning.

Now, I understand that public opinion is split pretty even on whether or not the Government should be giving out a $400.00 cheque to all Albertans at all, but since when should we even feel slightly guilty if we decide to keep that money and put it to a use that we would like? There seems to be more and more articles appearing in the provincial press about how Albertans who don't want or need this resource rebate should simply send it to a charity. I've read articles on how people intend to donate theirs to a political party, a University they attended, or to the worthy causes of Hurricane Rita/Katrina relief and the recent Pakistan earthquake relief funds.
While all of those causes seem worthy, I have this lingering opinion that they have opened the door now for any and all would be people looking to raise money for whatever noble cause to begin their search with this $400.00 cheque we'll all be getting in January.

I donate money that I earn from working a job, and I feel good about it. I support many causes from MS to Cancer, and my favourite charity, the Special Olympics. However, am I going to donate my resource rebate, or any part of my resource rebate? No. Should I feel guilty about it? No. And i'll tell you why, I didn't earn this resource rebate. It is exactly what it is referred to as, a "resource rebate."

If a charity wants to call me or knock on my door looking for a small amount of my hard earned money, then by all means ask away. I may even decide to give them some. But under no circumstances should any of us feel any sort of inclination to donate their resource rebate. The Premier himself said it is a gift to all Albertans. I, for one, don't plan on being a re-gifter.

3 Comments:

At 3:41 PM, October 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using mine to buy something cool! and why not? I say, enjoy it.

 
At 3:18 PM, October 18, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree, except for actually I don't want charities knocking at my door.

 
At 4:42 PM, November 22, 2005, Blogger Scott Hennig said...

I'm using my rebate to pay for part of my health care premium.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home